l a t e s t n e w s

Cinema hope after casino

licence win

News Photo
Opera House Casino Cinema plan
casino news

Published on Tuesday 31 January 2012 17:05

A MULTIPLEX cinema could be built in Scarborough after the five-year saga of the town’s small casino licence ended.

It emerged yesterday that Apollo Leisure, the company which also operates the Open Air Theatre, had formally pulled out of the bidding process.

The decision effectively handed the licence to Nikolas Shaw Ltd, which owns the Opera House Casino in St Thomas Street.

The company have previously said that if it won the licence, it would significantly expand the Opera House Casino.

Nikolas Shaw said yesterday that he hoped the company would be able to press ahead with ambitious plans in North Street. The council has said the car park could be released for development if parking spaces are replaced.

Mr Shaw said: “Everyone at Opera House Casino is absolutely delighted with the news that we have been awarded the small casino licence.

“We hope that this will now pave the way for us to be granted preferred bidder status for the development of North Street, which will hopefully result in the people of Scarborough getting their long-awaited multiplex cinema.”

Apollo Leisure had stated that they would build a huge new mixed-use development, incorporating a casino, in the North Bay if they won the licence. Some local residents had objected to the proposals.

Both Nikolas Shaw Ltd and Apollo Leisure had been allowed through to stage two of the bidding process for the casino licence, before the shock development.

Scarborough Council have previously stated that they would have preferred two bidders to reach the competitive final stage, when they would have been asked to demonstrate how they would have contributed to the well-being of the area.

Alex Richards, project manager for Scarborough Council, said: “While we are disappointed that Apollo has decided to pull out of the competition, this is still a very good outcome for the town.

“The Opera House Casino is already an excellent facility for Scarborough and is a very popular part of the night time economy.

“We welcome the opportunity given to this local company to develop its business further, provide even better facilities to customers and help secure a sustainable future in the town.”

Plans for cinema complex in North Street submitted by the development's architectural company, Frame International.

Published on Monday 27 June 2011 10:03

PLANS for a town centre multiplex cinema in North Street Car Park have been resubmitted ahead of a deadline where planning permission was due to expire.

Permission was originally granted in July 2008 and the new planning application has been submitted by St Thomas Street-based North Street Development.

Cabinet members from Scarborough Council met in January this year to approve a plan to release the site for development.

At the time councillors said that plans for development would be welcomed as long as developers promised to provide an equivalent number of town centre parking spaces to any which were lost under submitted proposals.

The current application seeks to extend the current time limit for planning permission for a mixed use development comprising of multiplex cinema, hotel, shops, restaurants, as well as off street car parking at the site.

Under the original plan there would be a multi-screen cinema – which included five cinemas which could seat a total of 600 people – as well as an 80-bedroom hotel, restaurants and shops on the North Street Car Park site.

At the time of January’s Cabinet decision to release the site for development a council report stated that extra car parking spaces should be created at no extra cost to the council.

It also recommended North Street Development – headed by Opera House Casino owners, Nikolas and Becky Shaw, Scarborough developer Ken Ferrie – should be allowed to submit a revised plan which addressed the parking issue.

Reasons given for the decision included the need to expand and develop the town centre and preserve the level of town centre parking.

The revised application was submitted earlier this month it is hoped that a decision will be made by the council’s Planning and Development Committee by the middle of September.

A public consultation relating to the plan, which would include neighbours and interested parties, is due to run until the middle of next month.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player